Behind the Scenes: The Shape for Things to Cum

 

 

 

Happy Halloween, all!  Got this one in, just in the nick of time*. ^_^

(*Oh, come on.  It's Scooby Doo.  You know it counts.)

I'll admit, this particular image had been floating in my head for a while now.  It wasn't the recent developments around Velma officially being outed as bisexual or her upcoming spinoff series (which I'm in the majority of having grave misgivings about, though probably not for the same reasons as everyone else, but I won't get into that here).  But those happenings might have played a role in me putting this pic out when I did (Well that, and...you know...Halloween).

Frankly, what I found to be particularly amusing was how, when HBOMAX dropped the trailer for the Velma series, they described it as, "telling the origin story of Velma Dinkley, the unsung and underappreciated brains of the Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. gang". First of all, I wouldn't say she's "unsung". After all, anyone who's been in Velma's presence for five minutes can tell that she's the one who puts any thought into anything. If it's an unspoken thing, it's only because nothing ACTUALLY needs to be said. And I wouldn't necessarily call her "underappreciated" either, since Velma's basically been the unofficial sex symbol of the Scooby Doo franchise for more than a decade. 

Oh, don't act like you don't know it's true.  I mean, okay, granted, when Scooby Doo was first created, that's NOT how it was supposed to be. Daphne and Velma's roles were very clearly defined, with Daphne being the obvious hottie while Velma was just the chubby nerd (I mean, it was 1969...what did you want?). But again, for more than 10 years now, the fandom has kind of flipped the script by being pretty open with the fact that, given the option...yeah, they'd rather fuck the chubby nerd. And not only has Warner Bros. begun to take notice, but to an extent, they've actually started leaning into it. I mean, if you pay attention to the franchise's most recent animated offerings over the last couple of years, you notice the animators have actually been trying to draw attention back to Daphne by tweaking her original character design, so her body looks more like Velma's.

Seriously, check it out, if you haven't already.  Daphne's THICC these days.  Which was basically the inspiration for the above image, with Velma encouraging Daphne to flaunt her stunning new "assets".  With Scooby Doo obviously not being my forte, I was quite pleased with how the pic turned out.  I looks more or less exactly how I wanted it to, which is always what an artist wants to see.  As for whether it's something you'll like to see, I'll leave that to you.  But hopefully you enjoy it.

And once again...Happy Halloween. ^_^



Comments

Popular Posts